What is this TC-80-7M core, made of?

• Last Post 16 December 2022
Vasile posted this 12 December 2022

Hello everyone,

I recently disasembled a Kashtan Tape Recorder and inside I found a very nice transformer. I looked at the core and I am not sure what exactly is it made of. It seems like a metalic "tape" with the width of this "tape" being about 0.36mm (see atached pdf). The device was made in URSS. Could it be, by any chance, an exotic material like metglass?, permalloy, etc? or is it simply silicon steel?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Vasile posted this 12 December 2022

Hello everyone,

I recently disasembled a Kashtan Tape Recorder and inside I found a very nice transformer. I looked at the core and I am not sure what exactly is it made of. It seems like a metalic "tape" with the width of this "tape" being about 0.36mm (see atached pdf). The device was made in URSS. Could it be, by any chance, an exotic material like metglass?, permalloy, etc? or is it simply silicon steel?

Attached Files

bigmotherwhale posted this 12 December 2022

Yes its most likely a high freqency silicon steel laminate,

metglas is a sliicon steel with added boron and chromium i think, what differs from normal steel is the quench rate which has changed its crystaline structure.  

It proabbly has quite good properties, give it a try. 

Fighter posted this 12 December 2022

Hello Vasile,

Sorry, didn't found any details about the core (searched for transformer's code) but looks like a high-frequency alloy. You should try it.

Yes, one of the Metglas forumula is Fe32Ni36Cr14P12B6.

Pretty complex composition: Iron, Nickel, Chromium, Phosphorus and Boron.

From Wiki:

Metglas, also known as metallic glass alloys, differ from traditional metals in that they have a non-crystalline structure and possess unique physical and magnetic properties that combine high permeability, strength and hardness with flexibility and toughness. 

Metglas is a thin amorphous metal alloy ribbon produced by using rapid solidification process of approximately 1,000,000 °C/s (1,800,000 °F/s; 1,000,000 K/s). This rapid solidification creates unique ferromagnetic properties that allows the ribbon to be magnetized and de-magnetized quickly and effectively with very low core losses of approximately 5 mW/kg[1] at 60 Hz and a maximum relative permeability of approximately 1,000,000.

Fighter

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration."
Nikola Tesla
Atti posted this 16 December 2022

Hi Vasile.

You may find some effects in this silicone iron as well. I've tried a few material qualities, but so far Amcc has been the best.
I'd be interested in your results. It doesn't matter if it's a good or bad result. We could learn from that.
Unfortunately, few people give their results. I think they are afraid of getting involved in a debate.

Atti.

Fighter posted this 16 December 2022

Quoting:Atti

Unfortunately, few people give their results. I think they are afraid of getting involved in a debate.

Members having testing results in this kind of research we're doing here should not be afraid.

We all know what happened to the researchers who kept their inventions secret just for themselves dreaming of patenting it and becoming rich. As history already shown to us, nobody did or will ever get rich from this kind of inventions. A single guy having just a prototype device not going public (to share its details so others can replicate it) can easily be reduced to silence and his device buried. It happened so many times already. But if that device is made public and replicated and studied by others, silencing the inventor and burying his device will not stop that device reaching the public as it's already replicated by others. 

That's why we all are here, else we would be just some lonely wolves doing research on our own and in secret and being easy targets for the ones who did suppressed these technologies for at least 100 years starting with Nikola Tesla's inventions (the papers taken in the day he passed away and still kept under lock today).

That's not the way we will advance on the way to our common goal. Because when we collaborate and exchange ideas, experiments and knowledge with other members we can help them in making enhancements to their devices but they also can help us making enhancements to our devices. Much faster than when we do research just on our own.

So if any of our members find anomalies, interesting effects or are developing new kind of devices don't be afraid, come forward and present them.

Of course there is the risk of trolls coming here casting doubts, launching attacks and accusations and trying to spread lies and disinformation.

But we gonna handle them like we already did.

Regards,

Fighter

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration."
Nikola Tesla
  • Liked by
  • cd_sharp
  • Inception
cd_sharp posted this 16 December 2022

Guys,

Atti is right. Debate is good as long as it stays scientific and polite. Feel free to share your results, good or bad!

Stay strong!

If you know how to build such a device and you're not sharing, you're a schmuck! - Graham Gunderson

Close