230V, 100 Hz, AC, Pure Sine Wave, Power Source

• Last Post 31 October 2023
Vasile posted this 25 October 2023

Hello everyone,

I need a power source that can deliver 230V, 100 Hz, AC, Pure Sine Wave. I searched the internet, but mostly because the standard is 50-60 Hz, you will not find it as a standard electrical hardware in stores (online and offline). So it is a "specialized" type of equipment and I did find something from https://novaelectric.com, for example, in the form of frequency converters, inverters and custom made power sources.

My question is: Does anybody know how to make a diy, solid state, power source that does what I just described? A square wave will also do for the moment but pure sine wave is preffered.

P.S.: I know Vidura is skilled in the arts, maybe he is around to help. By the way, Fighter, is there a option to tag people in comments?

• Liked by
  • Fighter
  • Inception
baerndorfer posted this 29 October 2023

Quoting:Vasile

Quoting:baerndorfer

maybe you should look for 'variable frequency device

I already tryed with VFDs years ago. The problem with them is that the output is squarewave and not sinewave. At least the majority of VFDs are like that because it is cheaper to make a square wave VFD than a sinewave one. They rely on the fact that high induction devices like motors, which VFDs are mainly used for, do not care that much if the input is square or sine.

understand completely!

now what about this. you can use PWM signal to power a halfbridge topology. halfbridge output can drive a tank-circuit (L-C). as coil we can use primary from net-transformer. if L-C is in resonance, you will get a nice sinewave on secondary. 
regards
B

• Liked by
  • Fighter
  • Inception
Vasile posted this 30 October 2023

Quoting:Shelfordella

Do you have 230V coming out of the mains?

Yes.

Looking into a (resonant) frequency doubler might be interesting. Will look into it too to see how it works.

I will look into it. Thank you.

• Liked by
  • Fighter
  • Inception
Vasile posted this 30 October 2023

Quoting:baerndorfer

if L-C is in resonance, you will get a nice sinewave on secondary.

Well yes, but if I connect an inductive or capacitive load, the resonance is "destroyed".

I am starting to think it is simpler to do it with moving parts: A motor that drives a car alternator and then the output which would be up to 14-15V Ac, I would feed thru a 50 Hz common step-up transformer, to get the 230 V needed. I just have to calculate the transmission ratio in order to get the 100 Hz desired. This way I do not have to worry about inductive or capacitive components disturbing the frequency or the voltage (disturbance which I observed in the case of the VFD). Anyway, up till now if I where to do it solid state, the most interesting and efficient appears to be the SPWM (Sinusoidal Pulse Width Modulation) technology.

• Liked by
  • Fighter
  • Inception
baerndorfer posted this 31 October 2023

if you build it correctly, the resonance will not get destroyd.

have a great day!

• Liked by
  • Fighter
  • Inception
Close